THIRSTY PLANTS: OUR GUIDE TO WATERING
- A long, deep watering every two or three days is far more beneficial than a light, daily water. In hot weather be generous.
- Early morning or late evening is the best time to water, as less will evaporate. Avoid watering when the sun is shining on the garden – droplets on leaves can magnify the sun’s rays and scorch them.
- Water at the base of the plant to avoid getting leaves wet.
- Remember that watering washes away naturally-occurring nutrients in the soil, so the more you water, the more you need to fertilise. This is especially true of plants in pots.
- Check your houseplants every other day. Stick your finger in the soil and judge the moisture levels a couple of centimetres down.
- Know your plants’ needs – some need to be kept moist all the time, but others are more forgiving. Give us a shout if you are unsure!
- Again, a deep watering less regularly is better than a light one everyday.
- Don’t water in direct sunlight to protect those leaves.
- Feed weekly during the Spring and Summer months to replace those washed-away nutrients.
Our trees are carefully selected from British growers and are specifically chosen for their full foliage and quality. Non-drop varieties like the Nordman fir are the most popular, but we love to present the rarer, harder-to-find varieties like the Noble, with its naturally frosty hue.
With sizes in stock from 3ft to 11ft and slim-line varieties like the Frasier fir available, our trees can bring Christmas cheer to the smallest of apartments or the largest of rooms. And, as always, our team are on hand to help with advice and care tips.
Hand-made wreaths, foliage and exclusive decorations complete the unique Christmas Emporium at N1 Garden Centre.
For the love of our garden
Whatever outdoor space you call your own,
plants and gardening can be a natural part
of your city life.
Plants come in many different forms. Some plants like a bit of shade,
some enjoy of good dousing of water, and others will only bloom given full sun.
Some have thorns, some climb by tendrils, and others creep or trail along the
ground. You’d be surprised at the selection offered at N1.
Louise Alhadeff, outdoor plant director at N1 and W6 and her team of plant specialists, work in close collaboration with selected nurseries to ensure the quality of all plants. To make sure our customers get the quality they’ve come to expect, every plant delivery is checked upon arrival.
For the love of our house
Whatever space you call your home,
plants can be an essential part of urban life.
Paul Holt, Creative Director of N1 and W6 Garden Centres, has been a passionate advocate for the benefits of indoor plants for many years. Thanks to his expertise, N1 has become a well-known pit stop for anyone looking for high quality, stylish and unique houseplants.
In the indoor sections of N1 Garden Centre you will also find on-trend home accessories, pots and furniture. All items are handpicked by Paul, and selected from across the globe.
25 Englefield Rd
London N1 4EU
Phone: 020 7923 3553
So come and see us, join us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or send us an e-mail. You never know what new and exciting discoveries you will make…
See you soon!
9.30am – 6pm everyday
FOUNDER AND CHAIRMANBeryl is widely recognised as an inspirational force within the garden centre industry. Through N1 and W6, she has been able to bring her two passions, gardening and business, together.
CREATIVE DIRECTORFullfilling his dream to bring exciting plants to urban dwellers, Paul combines his great passion for indoor plants and on-trend home accessories with a degree in horticulture.
OUTDOOR PLANT MANAGERAlthough Louise runs W6 Garden Centre, she still works closely with carefully chosen nurseries to ensure the quality of all our outdoor plants.